SANDAKAN: A new settlement is being planned for 29 families left homeless by the Kampung Nunuyan Laut fire, with efforts underway to secure a site within a month.
Libaran MP Datuk Suhaimi Nasir said a vacant piece of land on Pulau Nunuyan had been identified following discussions with the Land Department.
He said the area could be developed and gazetted as a village for the affected families.
“The victims are agreeable and are hoping that the site can be gazetted as a village.
“We will work towards securing the land within a month,” he said during a visit to Pulau Nunuyan on Saturday (Aug 22).
Suhaimi said the 29 affected households would be given priority, with the land to be divided into individual lots for them.
The fire, which broke out in the early hours of Aug 19, destroyed 28 houses at the water village.
He said he would also raise the matter with Deputy Prime Minister and Rural and Regional Development Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi to seek funding to build houses for the victims.
In the meantime, arrangements are being worked out for temporary accommodation following the closure of the evacuation centre on Pulau Nunuyan.
One option is to house the families at a community hall, although the building currently has no electricity.
Suhaimi said he would approach Sabah Electricity to see if temporary power could be supplied to the hall.
Many of the victims also lost important documents, including identity cards and birth certificates, in the fire.
The National Registration Department and several other government agencies were brought to the island to help them replace the documents and provide other immediate assistance.
On fire preparedness, Suhaimi said there were plans under the Housing and Local Government Ministry to set up volunteer firefighting teams in villages.
He said a similar initiative had recently been carried out in Tinusa, where villagers were trained as volunteers so they could respond during the crucial first 10 to 20 minutes before firefighters arrive.
