Hazard from above as construction site claims more lives


KUALA LUMPUR: Yet another accident at the Sungai Besi-Ulu Kelang Elevated Expressway (SUKE) has claimed lives.

A crane launcher fell at the project site yesterday and killed three construction workers. A motorist who was driving on the road below was severely injured.

At the scene yesterday, a combined team from the Fire and Rescue Department, the police, the Malaysian Civil Defence Force and the Occupational Safety and Health Department (DOSH) were seen organising the retrieval of the last body, which was trapped beneath the crane.

The rescue workers faced difficulty in reaching the body, due to the precarious nature of the rubble and the height of the structure.

As at press time, rescuers were still attempting to retrieve the body of the construction worker.

Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department chief Nordin Md Pauzi, at the scene yesterday, said there were six victims in total.

Earlier in the day, it was believed that only four were involved.

“Three died, while the car driver was gravely injured and was sent to hospital. Two other workers have been rescued.

“We are also working with the contractor to help move the structure that has fallen on the victim, ” said Nordin.

Cheras OCPD Asst Comm Mohamed Mokhsein Mohamed Zon, who was also at the site, said the driver was injured when his car was crushed by the falling structure.

“He has been sent to Hospital UKM for further treatment. The police have opened an investigation paper and the bodies have been sent for a post-mortem, ” he said.

The road beneath the construction site in Persiaran Alam Damai is currently closed until rescue works have concluded.

This is the second incident involving SUKE this year. In the previous incident, a portion of a bridge under construction fell after being hit by a trailer carrying heavy machinery.

It trapped five people in a factory van travelling on the MRR2 Highway near Bandar Tasik Selatan on March 3.

Two women were killed while another three people were seriously injured.

In that incident, Projek Lintasan Sungai Besi-Ulu Klang Sdn Bhd confirmed that the trailer that impacted scaffolding belonging to the SUKE construction site was a private vehicle and was not involved in or affiliated with the construction of the highway in any way.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Noh Omar: I will not support no-confidence motion
Calling all unemployed, healthy Malaysians... the security industry needs you
Covid-19: 4,743 new cases bring total to 705,762
Cops cripple 'Gang Sakai' with arrest of 24 men
Deputy Minister: JKJAV urged to consider sending more vaccine supplies to Sabah
Ismail Sabri: Opening up Parliament in 14 days was opinion of political bureau
PSR project not a sole decision by one party, says Penang govt official
Covid-19: Over six million doses of vaccines given as of Monday (June 21)
Anwar questions low testing rates despite increase in Covid-19 cases
Covid-19: New cluster detected at Kulim polytechnic

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers