PUTRAJAYA: The Tawar cluster, Malaysia’s biggest and active Covid-19 cluster currently, has reported another three more cases in Kedah.
In a statement on Friday (Aug 21), Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said that the three cases detected have brought the total number linked to the cluster to 58.
“As of Aug 21, a total of 2,733 individuals related to this cluster have been screened. In Kedah, 2,256 were screened with 47 positive cases detected.
“In Penang, 11 confirmed cases were found out of the 466 people who were screened, ” said Dr Noor Hisham.
Some 11 individuals were also screened in Perak but all tested negative.
There are still 249 people who are awaiting their Covid-19 test results.
So far, all patients linked to the Tawar cluster have not recovered and are still under treatment at hospitals.
The cluster has overtaken the Sivagangga cluster - also in the northern states - which has 45 confirmed cases. Only 15 are active cases currently.
The index case (patient 9,113) is a 53-year-old who had tested positive for the virus on Aug 12.
The Malaysian man had a history of attending a funeral gathering on July 31 and Aug 1 which was attended by family members.
Previously, Dr Noor Hisham said that the investigation had shown physical distancing rules were not fully adhered to at the gathering, which contributed to the transmission of infection.