Dos and don’ts of work and travel during MCO

PUTRAJAYA: Below are some frequently asked questions (FAQ) for activities under the jurisdiction of the Home Ministry during the movement control order (MCO) period.

Q: Do I need approval documents from the police for inter-state travel?

A: At the moment, police have deferred the need for anyone to get the special permit for inter-state travel.

Q: Who do I report to if there are restaurants or stalls operating as usual with the public eating in the premises?

A: Restaurants and stalls are only allowed to prepare food for take-away purposes. The public are encouraged to report to the nearest police station for further action if there are premises operating as usual.

Q: I am a Malaysian/permanent resident who is overseas and want to return to Malaysia. Can I return to Malaysia during the MCO period?

A: Malaysians and permanent residents who are overseas are allowed to return home and undergo health checks. They also need to undergo self-quarantine for 14 days.

Q: Are Malaysians in the Peninsula free to travel to Sabah or Sarawak during the MCO?

A: Malaysians who are currently on vacation, studying, working or on official duty in Sabah and Sarawak are not prevented from returning to the Peninsula and vice versa. However, there are

certain conditions.

Q: Are Malaysians/permanent residents with overseas work permits allowed to leave Malaysia to their respective countries for work?

A: Malaysians/permanent residents who have work permits or long-term pass holders in any country are allowed to leave but cannot return to Malaysia before March 31, 2020.

Q: Are Malaysians/ permanent residents with work permits allowed to go to and return from Singapore?

A: Malaysians or permanent residents with legal work permits in Singapore are allowed to go and work in Singapore on the condition that their Singaporean employers prove that they have accommodation prepared for them.

Q: What can I do if my foreign workers’ temporary work pass (PLKS) expires during the MCO?

A: Any foreigner with PLKS, expatriate pass, student pass and social visit pass, among others, who wants to return to their respective countries without renewing their passes are allowed to do so. However, those who want to renew their passes can do so 14 days after the MCO is lifted.

Q: Can a long-term pass holder return to Malaysia after going for a vacation to their respective countries during the MCO?

A: All foreigners are not allowed into Malaysia. Exceptions are only given to spouses and children of Malaysians, diplomats on duty together with their families and expatriate pass holders who are involved in essential services need to get permission from the ministry and Immigration Department before coming to Malaysia. They are also required to undergo a 14-day self-quarantine.

Q: Can companies get an extension on the payment date of levies during the MCO?

A: The levy payment period will be extended for two weeks after the MCO ends. The extension is given to employers whose levy payment due date falls during the MCO.

Q: What kind of services or counters are operating at the National Registration Department?

A: Only applications for lost or spoilt MyKad can be done. The NRD has advised the public to postpone matters which are not pressing or urgent.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


38% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Covid-19: Seven new clusters detected, one linked to Seremban old folks home, others to workplaces
CMCO: Travel between Selangor, KL allowed but police permission needed to enter Putrajaya, says Ismail Sabri
Health DG: Protecting 'green zones' remains top priority in interstate travel decision
Ismail Sabri: Allowing interstate travel depends on Health Ministry's risk assessment
Malaysia calls for dialogue, release of Aung San Suu Kyi and others by Myanmar military
Covid-19 cases on downward trend with 1,555 new infections on Tuesday
Putatan MP Awang Husaini denies leaving PKR
Inter-district travel allowed except in Sabah from March 5, interstate travel ban remains
Maszlee sends demand letter to Umno Youth chief over history textbook spat
C4 calls for probe into allegations involving 1MDB linking former Bank Negara governor Zeti

Stories You'll Enjoy