PUTRAJAYA: Campaign to Protect the Rights of E-Hailing Drivers spokesman Ng Kian Nam (pic, second from right) was called up by police and interviewed for about an hour on Friday (Jan 10) over a gathering last October.
"I was questioned by the police over an incident on Oct 10 last year when we handed over a memorandum to the Transport Ministry.
"As an MCA leader, I have gone to many ministries to submit memorandums. I have been to Grab Malaysia's office, the MACC (Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission), the offices of the Negri Sembilan and Perak Mentri Besar.
"This is the first time I have been called up for questioning for submitting a memorandum," said Ng to reporters outside Putrajaya police headquarters here.
Ng, who is also MCA Civil Society Movement Bureau chief, also questioned why was there a need to apply for a permit before handing over a memorandum to a ministry.
"Our group has sent three letters to Transport Minister Anthony Loke seeking a dialogue with him.
"We asked in a courteous manner, so why are we seen as if we are causing a disturbance?
"Why won't the Transport Ministry receive memorandums by e-hailing drivers, who are under their purview?" said Ng.
He said it would be a "backwards move" for the Pakatan Harapan government if the group were to be charged under the Peaceful Assembly Act.
"It would also be a precedent. As far as I know, handing over memorandums is not the same as peaceful assemblies," said Ng.
On Oct 10 last year, Ng and a group of about 50 e-hailing drivers, submitted a memorandum to the Transport Ministry.
The 14-point memorandum, which demands better engagement with e-hailing drivers, was received by the ministry's public relations officer V. Leelakumari.
Did you find this article insightful?