Proposed vehicle storage depot in Kelana Jaya cancelled in July


PETALING Jaya City Council (MBPJ) has cleared the miscommunication over turning an unused parking area into an abandoned vehicle depot in Kelana Jaya.

Referring to a letter by a resident published in StarMetro on Dec 18 titled “Kelana Jaya folk want MBPJ to drop abandoned vehicle depot plan”, the city council clarified that the proposal to use the SS4 site as a depot for abandoned vehicles had already been halted in July.

MBPJ’s Corporate Communications unit, in a media statement, said a town hall session was held with SS4C Residents Association (SS4CRA) on July 22 as part of the consultation process.

“This session aimed to obtain views on the proposal to use part of the unused parking area as an abandoned vehicle depot.

“Following the town hall session, Petaling Jaya mayor Mohamad Zahri Samingon decided to cancel the proposed construction of a depot in the SS4 area on July 25.

“This decision was made after considering the views and concerns of the residents involved, particularly regarding the risk of the area becoming a breeding ground for mosquitoes and snakes that could threaten community safety,” MBPJ explained.

The city council said Petaling Jaya currently had three vehicle storage depot locations, namely at Kota Damansara Innovation Centre, PJU 8 Damansara Damai and the newest location in Section 10, next to Taman Jaya.

“This new depot began operating on Dec 5, replacing the proposed SS4 area,” it added.

The once-proposed plot in question between Jalan SS2/4b and SS4/21 in Petaling Jaya lay adjacent to the Kelana Jaya LRT station carpark.

In the letter to StarMetro, the resident said over a decade ago the carpark was always full due to the station’s popularity as the line’s terminus.

In 2015, MBPJ expanded the carpark by 200 bays.

However, the subsequent extension of the LRT line to Putra Heights reduced the need for parking at Kelana Jaya station, rendering the additional bays largely unused.

The writer said that in July this year, SS4CRA learned about the now-defunct proposal to use part of this underutilised space to store abandoned vehicles towed by MBPJ.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Shah Alam's first female mayor vows swift, decisive leadership
KL facility embeds sustainability into daily operations, future planning
Old folk at Sibu home to be moved to Kuching facility during renovation
Hybrid work draws debate at S’gor women assembly
Penang resort raises funds for young cancer patients
Shah Alam gets first female mayor
US ambassador attends Penang roundtable discussion in farewell tour
Karak fire victims move into new homes for CNY
Impromptu piano performances strike a chord with LRT commuters
USM students final-year projects raise social awareness

Others Also Read