Malaysia sends back trash, says won't be world's waste bin


Minister Yeo Bee Yin (third left) with (from left) deputy minister Isnaraissah Munirah Majilis, MESTECC chief secretary Datuk Ir. Dr. Siti Hamisah Tapsir and Penang State Executive Councillor Phee Boon Poh (right) checking the plastic waste containers at North Butterworth Container Terminal (NBCT) on Monday (Jan 20). - MUSTAFA AHMAD/The Star/ANN

PENANG: Malaysia has sent back 150 containers of plastic waste to 13 mainly rich countries since the third quarter last year, with the environment minster warning on Monday (Jan 20) that those who want to make the country a rubbish bin of the world can "dream on.”

Shipments of unwanted rubbish have been rerouted to South-East Asia since China banned the import of plastic waste in 2018, but Malaysia and other developing countries are fighting back.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Regional

Japan 'robot wolves' in high demand to scare off bears
Lula won’t sideline China or anyone in rare earths, tells Trump refining stays in Brazil
Asean still not ready to accept Myanmar leaders at summits, meetings, says Tok Mat
Anwar holds bilateral talks with S'pore, Laos counterparts
Asean vows to avoid export bans, share fuel as oil prices soar
China AI robot restaurant analyses diners’ faces, tongues to recommend health-focused dishes
Why China’s humanoid robots are still waiting for their ‘ChatGPT moment’
Singapore turns tide in evolving fight against scams
Africa emerges as new arena in US-China competition over artificial intelligence
China’s parents are outsourcing the homework grind to AI

Others Also Read