Kota Kinabalu city hall tears down 38 squatter houses in Likas


KOTA KINABALU: An ongoing operation to demolish squatter houses at a colony behind the Alamesra area in Likas has seen 38 structures torn down so far.

Kota Kinabalu City Hall said the operation began on Friday (June 19) and would continue until all illegal structures in the area had been removed.

It said the operation was not merely aimed at clearing squatter settlements, but also at preventing the encroachment on state land, protecting environmentally sensitive areas, and ensuring development was carried out in an orderly, safe and lawful manner.

City Hall said the Alamesra squatter colony had expanded uncontrollably onto mangrove reserves and riverbanks, creating safety, public health and pollution risks, while threatening the mangrove ecosystem, an important natural asset for the city.

Its Demolition and Illegal Structure Division found 150 illegal houses in the area, while another 101 structures had been built at the fire victims’ settlement site in Kampung Cenderamata 2, Likas.

Most of the squatters were non-citizens, it said.

City Hall said eviction and demolition notices were issued on April 13, giving occupants 14 days to vacate the premises before enforcement action was taken.

The operation is being carried out with the police, Sabah Electricity and the Land and Surveys Department.

“This sends a clear message that government land cannot be encroached upon and that there will be no tolerance for such actions,” City Hall said on Sunday.

It said the enforcement drive was aimed at protecting nature reserves, reducing the risks of fires and crime, and improving Kota Kinabalu’s image as a clean, orderly, safe and liveable city.

City Hall added that it would not compromise with anyone who built, occupied or protected illegal structures on state land, and that enforcement operations would be conducted from time to time.

 

 

 

 

 


Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Rocky’s alleged owner charged in court
Man pleads not guilty to cruelty charge involving 'Rocky' the dog
Six individuals escape unharmed after tree falls on car
Haze: Six areas in Sarawak record unhealthy API readings as at 9am
MPE seeks stronger Malaysia-Laos trade ties via ASEAN+3 Summit
Singapore's cross-border Causeway Link buses from Newton, Queen Street to go cashless from Aug 20
Investigation papers on fatal immigration lorry crash submitted to AGC
Death of Rocky: No signs of gathering at court complex, situation calm
Do you know ... about the bubu?
Retired soldier’s heart still beats for ‘Merdeka’

Others Also Read