Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai


KOTA KINABALU: Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) has reiterated its proposal for a bipartisan committee under the state legislative assembly to focus on matters related to the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63), particularly Sabah’s long-standing 40% revenue entitlement.

PBS information chief and Kiulu assemblyman Datuk Joniston Bangkuai said the committee should involve representatives from both the government and opposition, as well as political parties without seats in the state assembly.

“This is important to ensure discussions on Sabah’s rights reflect wider views and are not limited to only elected representatives,” he said.

“The 40% issue affects all Sabahans. So it is only fair that different voices and ideas are heard, regardless of political background,” he said at the launching of Kaamatan and Moginakan celebration in Kampung Sinulihan Kiulu, on Saturday (May 23).

Bangkuai, who is also Gabungan Rakyat Sabah (GRS) information chief, said although the GRS-led state government is already earnestly working on Sabah’s claims under MA63, including the 40% revenue entitlement, a bipartisan committee could help bring together ideas and practical input from all sides to support the effort.

“We may have different political views, but on Sabah’s rights, we should try to find common ground. This is bigger than politics,” he said, noting that similar proposals had been raised by other political parties in the past.

Bangkuai added that a bipartisan approach could help prevent the issue from becoming a political talking point every election season.

He said PBS has consistently raised issues related to MA63 and the 40% revenue rights since the party was formed in 1985, and there was even a time when PBS was criticised for being too vocal on these matters.

PBS was in fact branded as being parochial and anti-federal, he said, but today, many recognise that protecting Sabah’s rights was something that concerned everyone.

“From experience, we have learned that progress comes when there is mutual respect, stable cooperation and sincere discussions focused on solutions,” said Bangkuai.

On another note, he said the surveying of Native Customary Rights (NCR) land in Kiulu remains the priority of the state government.

He disclosed that the Land and Survey Department has approved 312 applications from villagers in Sinulihan for the surveying of 2,087 acres of NCR land involving 635 lots.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027
Govt expands AI development to rural areas to improve tech literacy

Others Also Read