Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme


KUCHING: A local man lost RM233,950 after falling victim to a nonexistent online share investment scheme.

Miri OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Farhan Lee Abdullah said the district’s Commercial Crime Investigation Division received a report from the victim, who is in his early 30s, on Saturday (Feb 21).

He said the victim became interested in the scheme in October after visiting a website and was instructed to open an online trading account.

"The victim was enticed by profit claims shared in a WhatsApp group, where members displayed their purported earnings," he said in a statement on Sunday (Feb 22).

Initially, the victim invested RM100 and claimed that a return of RM700 was credited into his account. Encouraged, he proceeded to invest larger sums, ACP Farhan said.

"The victim subsequently made 27 transactions to 21 different bank accounts.

"He only realised he had been scammed when the suspect continued demanding additional payments despite the promised profits not being credited," he added.

The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating.

ACP Farhan advised the public to stay vigilant and not be swayed by investment offers promising unusually high returns within a short period.

He also urged potential investors to verify the legitimacy of investment platforms through the official websites of Bank Negara Malaysia and the Securities Commission Malaysia, and to contact the National Scam Response Centre at 997 if they fall victim to fraud. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026
Floods: 245 evacuated in Tawau
MCA open to work with ex-Bersatu members
Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah

Others Also Read