GOF: RM3.37mil in e-waste seized in Seberang Prai raid


GEORGE TOWN: Police seized various processing items and e-waste worth RM3.37mil in a raid on a premises through Ops Hazard in the Seberang Perai Selatan area on Friday (Feb 20).

General Operations Force (GOF) Northern Brigade Commander SAC Balveer Singh Mahindar Singh said the 11am operation was conducted by a police team from the Intelligence Branch of the GOF Northern Brigade Headquarters.

A man believed to be the owner of the premises was also arrested.

"The operation was carried out as a result of intelligence gathered regarding premises suspected of conducting plastic waste and e-waste processing activities without the approval of the authorities.

"The premises were found to have installed and operated several plastic processing facilities without notification and approval from the Environment Department,” he said in a statement on Sunday (Feb 22).

The raid was done in collaboration with the Penang branch of the department, the Inland Revenue Board (LHDN), the Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP) and the Criminal Investigation Division of the Seberang Perai Selatan Police Headquarters.

Balveer Singh said the team also found a large amount of e-waste stored in jumbo bags, as well as in drums containing contaminated oil.

He said the seizure involved facilities and machinery used to process plastic waste, seven jumbo bags containing materials suspected to be e-waste, 20 jumbo bags filled with suspected mixed e-waste and scrap metal, 32 empty metal drums and one drum containing contaminated oil.

Investigation found that the premises had been operating since early last year as a site for processing plastic materials and storing additional e-waste without the approval of the Environment Department and MBSP.

He said the suspect is believed to have obtained plastic waste from semiconductor factories in the surrounding area, and that the facility was used to process plastic materials and plastic pellets before they were exported. 

The case has been handed over to the Penang Environment Department for further investigation under Section 18 (1) of the Environmental Quality Act 1974. — Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops yet to record statement of injured fourth victim in Immigration lorry crash
Trade body backs hybrid SST-GST, demands ease of compliance
Four remanded in Sabah over RM900,000 land sale bribery plot
Developer withdraws Kota D'sara data centre plan after public concerns raised, says Ramanan
Umno committed to ensuring stability of federal govt till end of term, says Azalina
Factory supervisor arrested over upside-down Jalur Gemilang, Johor flags
Malaysian plane bound for Kuala Lumpur aborts takeoff at Narita Airport
National Day, Sabah Day celebrations to reinforce unity, strengthen love for state, country
Immigration raid sees 78 nabbed in Pengerang
Postal Services Act to be amended as illegal deliveries raise alarm

Others Also Read