Two MBPP officers hurt in balloon explosion during Thaipusam


GEORGE TOWN: Two Penang Island City Council (MBPP) enforcement officers were injured after gas-filled balloons they had seized exploded during the Thaipusam celebrations here.

The incident occurred at about 10.45pm on Sunday (Feb 1), as stalls were winding down operations.

The officers had earlier confiscated the balloons from a trader along Jalan Kebun Bunga who had ignored council orders to stop selling them without a valid trading permit.

In a statement, Penang Island City Council said its Licensing Department had been monitoring unlicensed hawkers along Jalan Macalister, Jalan Utama and Jalan Gottlieb since Saturday, and found traders selling light gas-filled balloons without licences.

“Verbal instructions were issued for the hawkers to stop operations and leave the area, but some ignored the orders,” MBPP said.

 

The seized balloons and related equipment were brought to the council’s Licensing Department office in Lebuh Union for disposal. While releasing the gas from the balloons in the absence of members of the public, an explosion and fire occurred, injuring the officers.

“The rear section of an MBPP vehicle was also damaged by fire, along with the seized equipment,” the statement said.

One officer is receiving treatment at Penang Hospital for burns to both hands and one side of the face, while the other sustained minor injuries and is recuperating at home.

MBPP said reports had been lodged with the Fire and Rescue Department and the police, and investigations are ongoing to determine the cause of the incident.

The balloons are believed to have been filled with hydrogen, a cheaper but highly flammable gas. Helium, by contrast, is non-flammable and safer for public use.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read