No more licence renewal for vape shops in Perak starting Jan 2026


IPOH: Perak will stop issuing or renewing licences to sell vape and electronic cigarettes starting January 2026.

Perak health committee chairman A. Sivanesan said the state executive council has agreed to the move in its bid to protect the health of the people, particularly the youth.

"Renewals can still be done with the local councils this year," he said, adding that licences would only be for a year.

"But once their licence expires, there will be no more renewals," he said.

He added that existing licence holders may operate until their licence expires.

Sivanesan said the trend of vape users has increased in the last few years.

"Vape users in Perak have increased from 53,086 people in 2019 to 69,788 users in 2023.

"The percentage of conventional smokers aged 13 to 17 years is 6.2% while 10.5% are vape users," he said in a press conference here on Wednesday (Oct 1).

"There is also an increase in the number of cases where people have been found to mix drugs with their vape.

"There were 11 cases last year, while 31 cases were reported between January and July this year," he said.

He said among the drugs that were used include syabu, ganja, psilocybin and mushrooms.

Several states, including Johor, Kedah, Terengganu and Perlis, have placed restrictions on vape sales.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Ipoh , Perak , Vape , Licence , Health

Next In Nation

SC wins suit, five individuals ordered to pay RM103.75mil
Ex-1MDB CEO doesn't know why allegations in separate suit changed, court hears
Muslims' faith makes them more averse to corruption, claims Hadi
CAAM tightens drug, alcohol screening for aviation personnel
Annual WAK Festival has potential to become major regional event, says Sarawak tourism minister
Sarawak's Serian district records very unhealthy API as at 5pm
Govt to table Bill to repeal AUKU this year, says Anwar
Malaysia Airports welcomes multi-agency government plan to strengthen airport security
The race to the top
Widening of KL-Karak Highway, third Genting Sempah tunnel project to be ready by 2030, says Works Minister

Others Also Read