PUTRAJAYA: The Department of Orang Asli Development (Jakoa) has denied allegations that it restricts the entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages without reasonable grounds, noting that 395 applications were approved last year and 255 applications had been approved as of May this year.
In a statement on Thursday (May 21), Jakoa said it remained committed to practising inclusive and open governance through strategic cooperation with various stakeholders, including non-governmental organisations (NGOs), the corporate sector, government agencies and academic institutions.
It said 183 corporate social responsibility (CSR) programmes and 72 academic visits had been approved so far this year, while only a small number of applications were rejected due to the lack of consent from Tok Batin or Penghulu institutions.
"The requirement for written approval from the Jakoa director-general is not intended to create bureaucratic barriers, but rather serves as a governance mechanism to ensure that all activities respect the principle of free, prior and informed consent (FPIC), including mandatory consent from Tok Batin or Penghulu institutions.
"This procedure is important for accountability and risk management, biosecurity and health protection, as well as data integrity and cultural preservation," it said.
Jakoa said it remained committed to facilitating efforts to contribute and collaborate responsibly and ethically for the benefit of the Orang Asli community, in line with provisions under Act 134.
The department said that in certain circumstances, applications may not be considered if there are factors that could affect the well-being of the community, including elements of content exploitation, dissemination of inappropriate ideologies or actions that may disrupt the harmony of local customary leadership institutions.- Bernama
