Anwar, Abang Jo to launch Sabah-Sarawak Link Road Phase Two project on Sept 11


KUCHING: The Sabah-Sarawak Link Road (SSLR) Phase Two project is expected to be launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and Sarawak Premier Tan Sri Abang Johari Openg next week.

Works Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi said the launch ceremony was scheduled to take place in Limbang on Sept 11.

"As of now, we have invited the PM and Premier to a location along the SSLR Phase Two in Limbang for the launch," he told reporters after opening the Sarawak facility management industry engagement day here on Thursday (Sept 4).

In February this year, Nanta said the RM7.4bil SSLR Phase Two project was expected to take at least five years to complete due to geographical factors and extensive engineering requirements.

He had said although the agreement was finalised with the contractor at the end of last year, on-site work would only begin two to three months later.

With a length of approximately 322km, SSLR Phase Two will connect Lawas to Limbang in northern Sarawak without passing through Brunei.

Separately, Nanta said Sarawak had the potential to develop sustainable facility management (FM) in line with the state's various strategic projects such as the Pan Borneo Highway and SSLR.

He urged contractors in Sarawak to venture into FM as there were only 17 registered FM contractors in the state out of more than 460 nationwide.

"This is a huge opportunity for contractors to go into FM. With support from the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB), Sarawak government and industry players, we can expedite the development of local capacity so that Sarawak will emerge as a leader in this field," he said.

Nanta also said the FM industry was estimated to be worth RM55bil in Malaysia this year and projected to grow to RM75bil by 2030.

"Facility management offers opportunities not only in generating economic value but in creating skilled jobs for our people," he said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Soldier charged with abusing son
PKR leaders must explain their presence at Bersama event, says PKR Youth chief
Alleged sexual misconduct case involving teacher in Setiu under probe
Six Malaysian inmates transferred to Malaysia in 2025: Brunei Minister
Man found dead inside car in baling
PM Anwar praises national sepak takraw regu team after world cup triumph
Lack of clues slowing probe into brutal elephant killing, says Sabah state minister
My Rider campaign timely move to curb commuting mishaps, says Lee
Perak PKR wants PM to defend Tambun seat, says Mohamad Hairul
Teen killed, one injured in two-vehicle crash in Ayer Tawar

Others Also Read