Hundred graves at risk of being washed away relocated in Kuala Nerus


KUALA NERUS: The phased relocation of 100 graves at the Pengkalan Maras Muslim cemetery in Batu Rakit begins on Saturday (Aug 2), following severe coastal erosion that threatens to wash away numerous burial sites.

Terengganu Mufti Datuk Dr Mohamad Sabri Haron said the relocation, approved by the Mufti's Office and carried out by the Kuala Nerus Islamic Affairs Department with support from the Terengganu Islamic Religious and Malay Customs Council (Maidam), the Kuala Nerus District Office, local village committees and residents, was essential.

The graves would be moved to the new Hajar Muslim cemetery at Kampung Gong Awang Lib, approximately two kilometres inland, with efforts prioritised to complete the transfer before the upcoming monsoon season worsens the erosion.

This action follows a November 2024 incident where the remains of five deceased, including three still wrapped in shrouds, were swept away by waves, forcing emergency reburials at Pengkalan Maras.

Local residents welcomed the move, expressing relief and gratitude. Norhayati Sulaiman, 51, who feared visiting her father's grave located just two metres from the shoreline, described the relocation as a resolution to her long-standing worries.

Meanwhile, Laila Othman, 57, found emotional comfort attending the transfer of her late husband's grave.

Bernama's observation at the century-old cemetery noted that as of midday Saturday, five sets of remains had been successfully exhumed and relocated. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai

Others Also Read