Sibu fire destroys seven houses, 66 residents rescued


SIBU: A total of 66 residents survived a fire that destroyed seven houses in Kampung Hilir here on Friday (July 25), making it the second fire incident in the area within 10 months.

The head of Zone 4 of the Sarawak Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) Andy Alie said his team received an emergency call about the fire at about 8.13am.

Fire Rescue Team (PKO) from the Sibu Sentral Fire and Rescue Station (BBP), Sungai Merah BBP and Sibu Jaya BBP, with a 25-member force, were deployed to the location, he said in a statement Friday.

"In the incident, five non-permanent houses, including one that was unoccupied, were gutted. Two other houses were damaged by 20%, while six nearby houses were saved," he said.

According to him, the fire was completely controlled and prevented from spreading to nearby houses at about 9.10am, and the firefighting operation ended at noon.

The cause of the fire and total losses are under investigation.

In September last year, 15 houses close to today's location were destroyed in the same village, leaving 150 residents homeless. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Fire , Houses , Kampung Hilir , Andy Alie , Fire and Rescue , Bomba , Sibu ,

Next In Nation

The growing pain in Malaysia’s big toes
Right date for couples to tie the knot
Resort hotels see bookings surge
ECRL training programme alumni to take on key roles
Malaysians looking forward to long break
Immigration Dept detains 24 foreigners in anti-prostitution raid
Fuel prices May 21-27: Diesel, unsubsidised RON95, RON97 prices increased
IJM Corp share acquisition: Two individuals under MACC investigation
Royal Press Office urges stern action over fake TikTok account impersonating, insulting King
Malaysia awaiting results of Saudi probe into detention of five Malaysians in Mecca

Others Also Read