Trader loses over RM720,000 in online investment scam


JOHOR BAHRU: A 58-year-old trader lost RM720,800 after falling victim to an online investment scam linked to a Facebook advertisement.

Seri Alam deputy police chief Supt Victor Genason said the syndicate promised a 50 per cent return within three months, prompting the victim to make 15 transactions totaling RM730,500 to four different bank accounts between March 25 and May 9.

The victim was later instructed to make additional payments to access his returns, but only received RM9,700 before realising he had been duped when further attempts to recover the money failed.

He said investigations revealed that three of the four accounts used in the scam had been flagged in 20 previous police reports involving similar investment fraud.

Victor said the case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code, and urged the public to be wary of online schemes offering high returns and to verify investment offers with legitimate authorities. - Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Stronger PBS-Sabah STAR ties can only help GRS, says Gunsalam
SK Putrajaya Presint 11(1) shortlisted for World's Best School Prizes 2025
Video clip case: Those charged will have a chance to clear their names, says Hajiji
PM pleased with LCS construction progress, says Fahmi
Najib allowed to attend hearing of AG's appeal over 'royal addendum'
13m whale skeleton set to be S'wak museum attraction
Govt to curb online sale of drug-laced vapes and other banned items, says Fahmi
Security in KL assured despite recent shooting incidents, says IGP
Cops tracking down five who escaped from Jelebu drug rehab centre
Former Senate deputy president pleads not guilty to 20 counts of bribery

Others Also Read