Putra Heights inferno: Focus is on rebuilding, not speculating on probe, says Nga


IPOH: The police investigation of the Putra Heights gas pipeline fire should be allowed to take its course without speculation by the public, says Nga Kor Ming.

The Housing and Local Government Minister was commenting on growing calls for the authorities to identify the contractor involved in the April 1 disaster.

ALSO READ: Putra Heights inferno: Volunteers must register to join mega gotong-royong, say cops

"Let’s not speculate and let's respect the (investigative) process.

"If any party is found to be at fault, they will be referred to the Attorney General’s Chambers – that is the due process, so let's leave it to the authorities," he told a press conference after a handover ceremony for the Jalan Medan Ipoh 2 upgrading project here on Friday (April 11).

“I do not wish to be involved in any speculation. The ministry is fully focused on helping the affected residents," he said.

According to Nga, the recovery efforts have been divided into three phases.

The first, the rescue phase, had been completed with no fatalities reported.

ALSO READ: Putra Heights inferno: Affected areas will be rebuilt in three phases 

"We are extremely grateful, especially as it happened during the festive season," he said.

"Phase two involves recovery. Tomorrow (Saturday, April 12), together with the Selangor Mentri Besar, SWCorp, and the National Solid Waste Management Department, we will mobilise about 2,000 workers for a large-scale gotong-royong to clean up the affected area and assist victims in cleaning their homes.

"Hundreds of lorries will be deployed," he said.

Phase three, rebuilding, would be the most challenging, he added.

“So far, 219 homes have been affected, of which 87 were destroyed. We are seeking funding and have an action plan in place to move into this third phase," he said.

ALSO READ: Putra Heights inferno: Selangor police identify suspect behind false death claims 

The minister added that once everything is ready, an announcement will be made with the Selangor Mentri Besar and PETRONAS.

"Just give us some time. We are working around the clock towards that (recovery plan),” he said.

On the Ipoh road upgrading project, Nga said about RM2mil has been allocated for road paving and LED light fixing at Medan Ipoh, as well as the installation of about 2,000 parking bays.

"The last time the roads were paved was 15 years ago. This spot was well-known once but has become less business-friendly.

"(The upgrade) is also in line with Visit Malaysia 2026," he said.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Water supply in dams well under control, says SPAN as El Nino heralds dry months ahead
KL, Manila discuss expediting repatriation of over 5,000 immigration detainees in Sabah
Lawyer files bid to add RCI report as fresh evidence in Dr M’s Pulau Batu Puteh hearing
FashionValet received RM19.6mil from Khazanah in 2018, court told
Cop jailed eight years for drunk driving, fined RM40,000
Home Ministry to submit refugee data by year-end
Ex-Sabah hospital director seeks fairness over transfer in sexual harassment probe
Roof of science lab at Kuala Pilah school collapses
Melaka CM a 'great friend' of mine, says Saifuddin as he stays coy on possible BN-PH tie-up for state polls
Penang Customs seizes about RM2.5mil worth of illicit ciggies, booze in three separate raids

Others Also Read