Myanmar quake: Malaysian embassy in Bangkok temporarily closed for safety check


PETALING JAYA: The Embassy of Malaysia in Bangkok, located at Kronos Office Tower, has been temporarily sealed pending a safety assessment.

Wisma Putra advised Malaysians not to approach the existing embassy premises until further notice.

This follows two powerful earthquakes that struck Myanmar earlier on Friday afternoon (March 28), causing tremors in surrounding areas.

"In the event of an emergency or severe aftershock, Malaysians in Bangkok are advised to assemble at the Embassy Complex next to Sathorn Garden, instead of the Kronos Sathorn Tower location," Wisma Putra said in a statement on Friday evening (March 28).

"Malaysians residing in or travelling through Myanmar and Thailand are advised to remain vigilant, stay informed through local authorities, and take all necessary safety precautions.

"Malaysia extends its deepest sympathies and condolences to the victims and families affected by these devastating earthquakes," Wisma Putra said.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry, through the Embassies of Malaysia in Yangon, Myanmar, and Bangkok, Thailand, is closely monitoring the situation following the quakes.

The first earthquake, with a magnitude of 7.7, struck at approximately 1pm (local time), with its epicentre in the Sagaing Region, northwest Myanmar.

A second earthquake measuring 6.4 in magnitude followed shortly after.

Aftershocks from both earthquakes were reportedly felt in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Ho Chi Minh City.

Wisma Putra said in Myanmar, local media reported that a state of emergency has been declared in the regions of Sagaing, Mandalay, Magway, Bago, Eastern Shan state, and Naypyidaw as authorities assess the extent of damage from the earthquakes.

"Preliminary checks by the Embassy of Malaysia in Yangon with the Malaysian community indicate that all Malaysians are safe and unaffected at this time," it said.

In Thailand, reports indicate that key transit systems including the MRT, BTS, and the airport rail link in Bangkok have been suspended following the tremors.

The Prime Minister of Thailand has declared a state of emergency in Bangkok as authorities continue to assess the extent of damage.

"Preliminary reports confirm that no Malaysians have been injured," the ministry said.

It will continue to monitor the situation and provide further updates if necessary.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read