Anwar to personally check prices of controlled items for Raya


PETALING JAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim will personally go down to ensure consumers can enjoy reasonable prices in their preparations to celebrate Hari Raya Aidilfitri.

The prices of goods must be monitored, and those affected by the floods in Johor and Sabah should be assisted in their clean-ups, the Prime Minister’s Senior press secretary Tunku Nashrul Abaidah related during his daily briefing yesterday.

He added that the Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry has been ordered to implement the Festive Season Maximum Price Scheme to ensure a win-win situation for both consumers and the business community.

“The Prime Minister has directed the ministry to ensure strict compliance with the implementation of the Festive Season Maximum Price Scheme in conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri. This scheme will be in effect from March 24 to April 7.

“This initiative is crucial to ensuring a fair period and creating a win-win situation for both consumers and the business community. The price determination process has taken into account feedback from the Agriculture and Food Security Ministry, relevant government agencies and industry players.

“The Prime Minister himself will personally go to the ground to conduct price inspections of controlled goods under the scheme.

“This will allow him to directly observe the situation on the ground, ensuring that regulations – including the requirement to display price tags on controlled goods – are properly implemented so that consumers can enjoy reasonable prices during the festive season.

He said the Prime Minister had also asked the two ministries to continue working closely, and intensify monitoring and enforcement efforts, as well as ensuring more frequent inspections so that the supply of essential goods remains sufficient throughout the festive season.

On another matter, Tunku Nashrul said that the Prime Minister has instructed relevant agencies and parties to immediately assist in post-flood management to ease the burden of flood victims in cleaning their homes, particularly as Hari Raya Aidilfitri approaches.

“Given the improving flood situation in Johor and Sabah, all parties, including non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and the private sector, should come together to help ease the difficulties faced by flood victims. The disaster has caused significant damage to property, assets and even Aidilfitri preparations that had been made earlier,” said Tunku Nashrul.

He also stated that Anwar had acknowledged the country’s economic performance, particularly the latest annual reports by Bank Negara Malaysia and the Securities Commission Malaysia, which indicate continued robust economic growth.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Tony Pua questioned by police over FB post on Malay Rulers
PTPTN, UDA Holdings Bhd strengthen ties to advance education, savings culture via Sakura programme
Medical report pending in case of woman exiting moving car
Cops bust luxury bungalow scam centre in Iskandar Puteri that targeted victims in Spain
Rela man pleads guilty to possessing firearm, ammo, fake gun, kerambit
Higher diesel prices raise construction costs by as much as 15%, says Malaysian Housing Contractors Association
Selangor Raja Muda commissioned as Royal Malaysian Navy lieutenant commander
Man, 63, nabbed for alleged diesel misappropriation in Manjung
Bukit Aman probes fake TikTok account spreading AI insults against King
Express bus catches fire on highway near Alor Gajah, 17 escape

Others Also Read