Over five million tourists visited Malaysia under 30-day visa-free policy, says ministry


KUALA LUMPUR: Over four million tourists from China and a million from India have arrived in Malaysia, following the implementation of a 30-day visa-free policy, says the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry.

Since the visa-free policy was implemented between December 2023 and December last year, a total of 4,145,535 Chinese citizens had entered Malaysia.

As for Indian citizens, there were 1,464,499 arrivals within the same period.

“This measure was able to generate revenue for the country and ensured that Malaysia remains as a main player in several sectors such as investment, trade and tourism on the international stage,” the ministry said in a parliamentary written reply dated March 5.

“This goes to show that the visa-free policy for countries with potential had helped to spur the arrival of tourists to Malaysia,” it added.

The ministry was responding to a question by Datuk Mas Ermieyati Samsudin (PN-Masjid Tanah) on the status of the 30-day visa-free policy for Chinese and Indian citizens and the number of tourist arrivals under the programme.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Teacher claims trial to five counts of sexual offences against student, 14
Two new species found in Sarawak forest reserves
Anwar congratulates national team on 2026 Sepak Takraw World Cup Quadrant Event victory
Aggressive conduct towards media not part of Johor culture, says Aznan Tamin
Viral videos lead to arrest of six over suspected drug-laced vape sales
Malaysia calls for unhindered access to humanitarian assistance, says Health Minister
31,243 Malaysian haj pilgrims in Holy Land, final flight tomorrow
Assistant HR manager loses over RM163,000 in online investment scam
Johor police to call witnesses over alleged rough treatment of media at PH convention
‘Disloyal party members must take responsibility’

Others Also Read