Five charged over deaths of six diners in Taiwan


Compiled by C. ARUNO, LEONG SHU YIN and R. ARAVINTHAN

FIVE people working at a Malaysian restaurant in Taiwan have been charged in court after six diners died of food poisoning last year, Sin Chew Daily reported.

The operator of Polam Kopitiam, its branch manager, head cook, temporary cook and an intern have been accused of violating the Food Safety and Sanitation Act.

According to Taipei District Prosecutor’s Office, the food poisoning was caused by kuey teow which had not been stored at the right temperature.

This led to the growth of bacteria which produced bongkrekic acid, a respiratory toxin.

It was made worse by cooks using the same pair of disposable gloves to open new packets of the noodles, which led to cross-contamination.

In March last year, about 30 people fell ill after eating at the shop.

Eventually, six of them died from bongkrekic acid poisoning.

The founder of Polam Kopitiam began his culinary career in Taiwan by selling char kuey teow at a night market in Taipei.

His char kuey teow was so popular that he opened multiple restaurants in the city.

> Taiwanese director Doze Niu, who began serving a four-year prison sentence on Nov 30, 2021 for sexual assault, has been released in time to celebrate Chinese New Year at home, Sin Chew Daily reported.

He had failed in his application for parole for the past three years.

His fourth attempt was finally approved by the Correctional Department Parole Review Committee.

In April 2020, Doze, who is best known for directing Taiwanese gangster film Monga, was convicted of assaulting a female staff member at his home.

Doze, 58, appealed against the conviction, claiming they had consensual sex.

However, the High Court dismissed his version of events and upheld the sentence.

The above articles are compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a >, it denotes a separate news item.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Malaysia-Turkiye ties key to expanding strategic cooperation, says PM Anwar
Man likely stabbed woman in neck because he was jilted, say Kedah cops
Tanjung Embang recommended as site for New Kuching International Airport
Labuan fishing vessel owners lodge police report over lorry arson, vandalism
Gold Li Holdings Bhd celebrates successful ACE Market entry
Almost 170 tonnes of frozen meat seized in Kajang
Kuching Urban Transportation System to start pilot run in Q4
Semiconductor supply chains stable despite disruptions, says Amir Hamzah
Boat carrying migrants sinks near Selangor; three missing
Alma residents worried by blackened water, dead fish at retention pond

Others Also Read