Man jailed five years, fined RM30,000 for reckless driving, causing death


KOTA KINABALU: A man was sentenced to five years in jail and fined RM30,000 by the Tawau Magistrate’s Court for reckless driving, which caused the death of a motorcyclist three years ago.

The sentence was delivered by Magistrate Don Stiwan Malanjun against Jumardi Benga, 51, under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 (Act 333/87).

According to the charge, the accused committed the act at 12:40pm on Aug 18, 2021, at a U-turn at Batu 3 Jalan Apas in the Tawau district.

The accused made a dangerous turn while driving a four-wheel-drive at the U-turn junction, which caused the death of motorcyclist Mohd Ramdhan Shah Abas@Azis, aged 26.

Prosecuting officer Asst Supt Joan Lee handled the prosecution, while the accused was represented by lawyer Abdul Ghani Zelika.

The prosecution called eight witnesses during the trial, which commenced on May 16 last year.

The court also ordered that the accused be jailed for an additional year if he failed to settle the fine, and his driving licence was to be suspended for five years.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read