Savings scam victims pressured by third party to drop reports, claims NGO


KUALA LUMPUR: A non-governmental organisation (NGO) is alleging that victims of the Sapiza Saving Extra (SSE) savings scam have been pressured by a third party to retract their police reports.

Malaysian International Humanitarian Organisation (MHO) secretary-general Datuk Hishamuddin Hashim, when met at the Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) headquarters here on Tuesday (June 13), said that he had received "numerous" complaints from victims since early 2023.

"A third party has been contacting the victims to urge them to retract their reports.

"That is why today (Tuesday) we are also asking the CCID to continue their investigations without compromise, and to hand over the investigation paper to the Attorney General’s office for charges to be made," he said.

When asked for details of this "third party", Hishamuddin said that they could not divulge much as it could indirectly affect the victims.

MHO advisor and former inspector-general of police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said that not even the police can retract a report that has already been made.

"This is a criminal offence. No one person can threaten or pressure a person from retracting their reports.

"They themselves can make another police report on this matter and tell the police who these people are. The only body with the authority to retract a report is the DPP or Attorney General offices," he said.

In addition, the MHO also urged the police to provide updates of the case to the victims.

Hishamuddin said that victims had not been updated and were worried about the status of the case.

"A suitable amount of time has passed and victims would want to know updates. They also said that they are willing to come forward to provide additional information should it be needed," he said.

More than 40 letters from victims urging updates and willingness to assist were handed over to Bukit Aman CCID deputy director (Money Laundering/Forensic Accounting Investigation) Dept Comm Datuk Muhammed Hasbullah Ali at around 2.10pm.

On Feb 12, Police secretary Deputy Comm Datuk Norsiah Mohd Saaduddin said in a statement that eight suspects linked to the scam had been arrested.

The arrests were made on Jan 27, with raids conducted in Kuala Lumpur, Terengganu, Perak and Negeri Sembilan.

Around 116 reports had been lodged nationwide with losses estimated to be around RM4,438,300.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Sabah's economic direction on right track, says PGR info chief
Redevelopment of Bukit Assek to begin end of next year, Abang Johari
Bersatu pioneer leader Muhammad Faiz Na’aman quits party
Man killed, two injured after car crashes into electric pole
Accountant assaults ex-husband over unpaid debt
KL OCPDs must be more hands on, city's top cop says
State polls: No problem retaining Penang, Negri Sembilan and S'gor, says Rafizi
State polls: Selangor will lose out if not under unity govt, says Zahid
State polls: Kota Anggerik voters want better public transport, says PAS candidate
State polls: Umno voters now support Perikatan, says Peja

Others Also Read