JOHOR BARU: The floods in recent days have wreaked havoc, especially in three states, with many roads cut off or only passable to heavy vehicles, says the Fire and Rescue Department.
Its deputy director-general (operations) Datuk Edwin Galan Teruki said almost 30 roads were affected in Johor since the floods began on March 1.
Five roads were affected in Pahang and one in Negri Sembilan.
He said the roads were closed in stages as the floodwaters had risen between 0.3m and 1.8m in some places.
“All involved state and federal roads.
“The situation on the ground is very fluid at the moment but we are hoping the weather will improve,” he said, adding that many of the affected roads were in Segamat, Batu Pahat, Kota Tinggi and Muar in Johor; Rompin and Maran in Pahang; and Tampin in Negri Sembilan.
Edwin said there were cases of minor landslides or road cave-ins in Rompin, Pekan, Temerloh and Jerantut.
Road access in these areas was temporarily cut off, he said, adding that prompt repair works were being carried out.
So far, six deaths have been recorded – four in Johor and two in Pahang.
The youngest victim was a 10-year-old boy who drowned in a river in Chini, Pahang.
“We are still looking for a 23-year-old woman who was swept away while crossing a suspension bridge in Rompin on Friday,” Edwin said.
He said the number of flood evacuees had passed the 50,000 mark with Johor being the worst hit at 46,000, followed by Pahang (2,978), Negri Sembilan (587), Melaka (471) and Selangor (71).
Besides carrying out rescue operations, he added that they were also helping to send food to those in remote areas in Pahang using helicopters.