Warships among over 40 assets taking part in state’s National Day celebration
MELAKA: Three Royal Malaysian Navy vessels will command the historic city’s coastline as the state takes its National Day celebration beyond the skies and onto the sea.
Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh said KD Terengganu, KD Gempita and KD Laksamana Muhammad Amin will be among the major attractions planned for the state-level celebration in Klebang here.
He said the presence of the warships would give the public a rare opportunity to view the country’s naval assets while fostering patriotism and greater appreciation for the Armed Forces.
“Last year marked the first time Sukhoi Su-30MKM fighter jets from the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) flew in formation during the Merdeka celebration at Dataran Pahlawan.
“This year, we wanted to present something equally memorable and succeeded in bringing three naval vessels to our shores,” he said in an interview yesterday.

Ab Rauf said apart from the three warships, there will be 45 Armed Forces assets that will also be taking part in the celebration.
“There will be four Sukhoi Su-30MKM and F/A-18D Hornets as well as four C-130 Hercules and one Airbus A400M doing a flypast on Merdeka Day,” he said.
Ab Rauf said securing the participation of the three ships required considerable coordination between the state government and the Armed Forces.
“It was not an easy task, but my administration was determined to create a memorable celebration that would instil patriotism among the people.
“This reflects the state government’s commitment to organise festivities on par with the national-level celebration in Putrajaya,” he said.
Klebang had been selected to host the 69th state-level National Day celebration after the event was held in front of Dataran Pahlawan in previous years.
“Visitors can look forward to a grander and longer parade along Klebang’s coastal road. The state government is also collaborating with the Armed Forces to organise the Melaka 2026 Civil-Military Cooperation Carnival,” he said.
Ab Rauf said the carnival will be held at Dataran 1Malaysia in Klebang from Aug 29 to 31, with the naval display forming one of its main attractions.
He said other highlights would include parachuting demonstrations, RMAF fighter jet flypast, helicopter displays and demonstrations showcasing the skills of special forces personnel.
“The carnival will be officially launched on the morning of Aug 30, followed by the Merdeka Eve celebration that night.
“The evening programme will feature cultural performances and appearances by popular artistes, including Ziana Zain, Amy Search and Charly Van Houten,” he said.
Ab Rauf said the celebrations would culminate on Aug 31 with a parade involving various contingents, military assets and vehicles from government agencies.
He said ethnic and cultural performances, field demonstrations, creative presentations and decorated floats would also be featured.
“Visitors will also be able to witness an aerial salute and various other demonstrations that will add to the excitement of the celebration,” he said.
