NIBONG TEBAL: The Pulau Burung landfill area, which is on fire, has been declared as a Level 1 disaster area based on a National Security Council directive, say police.
Seberang Prai Selatan OCPD Supt Lee Chong Chern, who is the disaster operations commander, said this meant the public was not allowed to enter the area.
However, he said landfill workers were allowed to enter the area.
Supt Lee also said no theft has been reported by residents who were evacuated due to the Pulau Burung landfill fire.
He said there were constant police patrols at the two affected villages, Kampung Kebun Baru and Kampung Ladang Byram, from which some 400 residents were evacuated on Sunday (Jan 16).
"Police are maintaining the security and monitoring the two villages,” he said during a press conference at Jawi Multipurpose Hall here on Wednesday (Jan 19).
There are 38 houses affected in Kampung Kebun Baru and 43 in Kampung Ladang Byram.
On Sunday (Jan 16) about 400 residents from 86 families from the two villages were evacuated after the air quality index was at dangerous levels.
The fire which started on Jan 12, has burnt through about 4ha of the site.
Penang Fire and Rescue Department assistant director Mohd Hafiz Hafizal Timaradin said 16 water bombing operations had been carried out.
"About 35% of the fire has been put under control,” he said.
He said they would resume water bombing operations on Thursday (Jan 20).
A total of eight firemen were involved in the operation on Wednesday (Jan 19) morning.