KUALA LUMPUR: Police will take action against those planning to attend the #Lawan demonstration at Dataran Merdeka scheduled to take place today.
City police chief Comm Datuk Azmi Abu Kassim said the police would take action against anyone who intentionally violated the standard operating procedure set by the National Security Council.
“The country is still going through a pandemic and we are still under the National Recovery Plan (NRP). I ask all parties to comply with the SOP in place under the NRP, including no gatherings,” he said.
He warned that those who violated the SOP would face police action.
Comm Azmi also said they had not received any application or notice from the organising committee of the proposed gathering.
It was reported that police recorded the statements of 15 people who participated in the black flag convoy.
Police identified 31 vehicles and 30 to 45 participants involved in last Saturday’s (July 24) convoys in several parts of the country. Several participants had been summoned to have their statements recorded.
Among those summoned were activist Qyira Yusri, Undi18’s Tharma Pillai and Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram) programme coordinator Mohammad Alshatri.
The black flag convoy was organised by the Secretariat Solidarity Rakyat to gear up for the #Lawan rally.
The convoys were held concurrently all over the country.