Wee: No government ruling on age limit of e-hailing drivers


PETALING JAYA: There is no age limit or maximum age to becoming e-hailing drivers under government rules, says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.

He said neither his ministry nor the Road Transport Department (JPJ) had set any condition or rule regarding age limit for any individual wishing to hold a Vocational Licence to work as a driver of a public service vehicle (PSV Licence) including e-hailing and goods vehicles (Goods Driving Licence).

“Individuals may continue to hold or renew their Vocational Licence as long as they comply with all other necessary conditions including submitting a medical report confirming that they are healthy and able to perform driving functions safely, ” he said in a statement yesterday.

Dr Wee was responding to an online report in The Star about Rasamany Vettivelu, 75, who was laid off by Grab due to its policy not to hire drivers aged above 69 because of safety regulations.

In the report, Rasamany said she was heartbroken and disappointed that she could not continue as an e-hailing driver although she was physically fit.

Nicknamed “Grab Aunty”, the pensioner had previously been interviewed by various parties including TV and radio for taking on the job.

Dr Wee explained that the maximum age limit set by Grab as reported was an internal ruling.

Site check: Dr Wee (centre) standing with JPJ officials outside the Sabah JPJ office.Site check: Dr Wee (centre) standing with JPJ officials outside the Sabah JPJ office.

“Considering the economic hardship faced by the public as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, I hope e-hailing service operators across the country including Grab can, from time to time, review the internal conditions they impose on e-hailing drivers, including that related to the maximum age limit, ” he added.

He also urged e-hailing drivers to be responsible by ensuring that they were in good health to provide a safe service on the road.

Meanwhile, in Kota Kinabalu, Dr Wee, who is on a three-day official visit from Thursday, was briefed on Sabah JPJ’s programmes and the problems it faced in its daily operations.

“I was told that there is a building at the department that has not been used since 2000 due to frequent floods in the area and the suggestion is to build three blocks of new office buildings to serve the people better.

“I was also told that it needs more vans to operate its mobile counter services in the rural and interior areas, ” he said.

“These suggestions and problems will be looked into thoroughly.”

On the Kota Kinabalu JPJ drive-through counter that is open to the public – a first in Malaysia – Dr Wee said he was impressed that 14,360 transactions with a total collection of RM2.21mil were conducted since January this year.

During his visit to Sabah JPJ office yesterday, he also observed that strict standard operating procedure was in place.

On Thursday, Dr Wee made a stop at the office of Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin, who is also Sabah Public Works Minister, to discuss various infrastructure-related issues.

As shared on his Facebook page, Dr Wee said they spoke on plans to develop ports and airport in Sabah, ministry operations as well as the cabotage liberalisation policy implemented in Sabah four years ago.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Several villages in Bukit Mertajam hit by flash flooding on Wednesday (May 5)
Suspects in Ampang tahfiz school abuse case to be charged today (May 6)
Do you know ... about Eurasian hoopoes?
INTERACTIVE: Vaccine passports – the what, how, why and why not
B40 to get connectivity aid
Shortages delay Phase Three
Fighting fire under the new normal
Entire Kuala Lumpur under MCO
Police’s new game plan to ensure SOP compliance
Ferry terminal almost ready

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers