Some still cautious about travelling


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 26 Apr 2020

G. Thivia

JOHOR BARU: Despite being “grounded” in their hometown since the movement control order (MCO) came about, some Malaysians are still cautious about travelling back to their out-of-state residence.

This comes despite the government announcing that those who went back to their kampung prior to the MCO could apply online or at the nearest police station starting yesterday to get back to their place of domicile.

Corporate communication trainee G. Thivia, 24, has been “stuck” at her hometown in Johor after coming back here to attend to a family emergency before the MCO was declared.

“I had to go to Johor from Selangor right before the MCO was announced. By the time I was able to travel back, it was too late.

“However, the nature of my job allows me to continue performing my duties remotely. I have been working from home since then,” she said.

Thivia, who works for a pharmaceutical company, said she is now waiting for a decision from her company on whether she can go back to her office following the government’s latest announcement.

“If they decide that I should go back, then I will make the necessary travel arrangements,” she said.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin spoke of allowing those stranded at their present locations to make a one-way journey back to their homes.

Tuition teacher Alice Lim, 29, said she will stay put at her hometown in Johor until the MCO period is over for her own safety.

“The area in Selangor where I live has been identified as a red zone. I feel that it is safer for me to stay put here until the situation eases up,” she said.

Johor health and environment committee chairman R. Vidyananthan noted that the number of Malaysians returning from Singapore had increased to more than twice the average number since Wednesday.

“Previously, the number of Malaysians returning from Singapore through the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex and the Sultan Abu Bakar CIQ complex was about 300 daily.

“However, the number has gone up to about 800 people daily,” he said.

He also said that since Friday, the state government had begun using quarantine centres outside of the Johor Baru district such as Kulai, Batu Pahat and Kota Tinggi to place those returning from Singapore.

As at 10pm on Friday, he said that 5,816 people had been quarantined at 45 quarantine stations statewide.

Out of that number, he said 65 were students who came back from abroad and 19 were those from the tabligh group.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Muhyiddin Yassin , travel , MCO

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

88% readers found this article insightful

Across the site