Dr M steps back from being new Education Minister


PETALING JAYA: Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has stepped back from his intention to become the new Education Minister today, to abide by the Pakatan Harapan (PH) manifesto.

He said in a video published on Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia’s Facebook page, “That is the position of the manifesto and I cannot break it at the moment ..(unless) of course, there is a demand that I should take education.” 

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MMEA nabbed 4,107 migrants, 316 smugglers in 2026 so far, says deputy DG
Three Myanmar nationals remanded over compatriot's death in Kepong
Motorcycle theft gang busted with arrest of six, including teen ringleader
Jamal Yunos makes public apology to settle KJ's defamation suit
Negri Bersatu reps' SD U-turn ‘violates spirit of Perikatan cooperation’, says Hadi
Court 'no' to prohibition order against Na'imah, son and others over alleged funds in S'pore banks
Youths encouraged to turn tree planting into a habit
Energy supply secure, says PM Anwar after govt assures of supply until December
Seremban factory worker fined for wrongful abortion
Stricter safeguards for children under changes to online safety law from June 1

Others Also Read