Witness: Accused caught smearing days earlier

SHAH ALAM: The second accused in the murder trial of Kim Chol did “something” to a random member of the public at the KL International Airport 2 (KLIA2) two days before the incident in February, the High Court heard.

In CCTV footage, 28-year-old Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong was seen approaching the person from behind and smearing the person’s face with something on Level Three near the green zone of the airport on Feb 11.

Investigating officer Asst Supt Wan Azirul Nizam Che Wan Aziz, 39, said this was done gently.

“When the person turned around to face her, she appeared to apologise by nodding her head and putting her hands together.

“She took two or three steps backward before turning around and leaving slowly,” the witness said.

However, in different footage recorded on Feb 13, Doan was seen executing a similar action on the deceased aggressively “as if carrying out an attack”.

“To me, it appeared rather aggressive. Also different here was that she walked away quickly and was in a rush,” the witness said.

ASP Wan Azirul was testifying at the trial of Indonesian Siti Aisyah, 25, and Doan, who are charged with four others still at large, with the murder of Kim Chol, 45, at the departure hall of KLIA2 at 9am on Feb 13 this year.

Kim Chol is the alias used by Kim Jong-nam, the estranged half brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, when he travelled.

ASP Wan Azirul said the incident in the Feb 13 CCTV footage took place on Level Three near the self check-in counter at the departure hall of KLIA2.

Earlier yesterday, chemical weapons specialist Dr Raja Subramaniam testified that tests revealed that Kim Chol had about 1.4 times the lethal dosage of VX nerve agent on his face.

He said there was 0.2mg per kg of body weight found on the deceased’s face, while the lethal dosage according to scientific literature was 0.142mg per kg of body weight.

Dr Raja also found traces of VX on the collar and sleeves of the victim’s blazer.

Asked by Siti Aisyah’s lawyer Gooi Soon Seng why there would be traces there, Dr Raja replied that it was probably because Kim had wiped his face on the blazer after being attacked.

The hearing continues today.