Terengganu water utility loses RM200mil annualy to non-revenue water


Tap water at the village. Farid to check on Kampung Orang Asli Sungai Buloh that finally has water pipes installed by Air Selangor after relying on rivers for decades. IZZRAFIQ ALIAS / The Star. August 20, 2020.

CHUKAI: Syarikat Air Terengganu Sdn Bhd (Satu) is incurring losses of about RM200mil annually due to non-revenue water (NRW) across the state.

Its chief executive officer Abdul Karim Endut said among the main factors contributing to the rising NRW rate in the state are leaks from old and ageing pipes, faulty water meters, and water theft.

"The non-revenue water (NRW) rate in Terengganu has shown a slight increase from 40 per cent previously to 42.84 per cent this year.

"Of the total, about 70 per cent of water losses are due to pipe leaks, while the remaining 30 per cent is caused by illegal connections and water theft,” he said at a press conference after the state-level World Water Day 2026 celebration at the Bukit Sah Water Treatment Plant (LRA) here on Tuesday (May 19).

The event was officiated by the state Infrastructure, Utilities and Rural Development Committee chairman Datuk Hanafiah Mat.

He said the company has taken various proactive measures to reduce losses from NRW, including the gradual replacement of old and ageing pipes as well as carrying out immediate repair works upon receiving reports of leaks.

"Satu has to incur fairly high annual expenditure to carry out maintenance and replacement of these old pipes,” he said.

In addition, he said that the record of treated water consumption among domestic users in Terengganu stands at 288.26 million litres per day (MLD), or 61.95 per cent, while commercial and industrial users recorded 177.06 MLD, or 38.05 per cent, as of April this year.

"Across Terengganu, Satu manages 15 LRAs, which on average are capable of treating and supplying 1,031 million litres per day.

"From this large volume, we still maintain a stable emergency water reserve at 22.5 per cent,” he said.

Commenting on reports of brackish water supply affecting consumers in Dungun and Kuala Terengganu, he said the situation was caused by seawater entering Sungai Terengganu.

He added that the scenario was caused by the high-tide phenomenon, which affected the water treatment process at the intake point of the Pulau Musang LRA, located at the river mouth of the Sungai Terengganu and Dungun.

"Satu has taken steps to increase the volume of water in Sungai Terengganu to dilute salinity through water releases from the Kenyir Dam in Hulu Terengganu, in collaboration with Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB).

"Meanwhile, in Dungun, Satu is purchasing treated water from a private LRA and channelling it to the Bukit Bauk LRA to meet daily demand and help reduce salinity levels in the clean water supplied,” he said.- Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Admission to public higher education remains based on SPM, says Zambry
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in several states until 7pm (May 19)
Higher education outreach programme to be expanded nationwide, says Zambry
Study needed before any domestic violence act amendments, says Nancy
GSF 2.0: 10 vessels press on towards Gaza
Papagomo found liable for defaming Guan Eng and son
Malaysia needs future-ready immigration system to counter global threats, says Saifuddin
Report lodged over alleged press harassment at Pakatan convention, says Johor Media Club
Home Ministry to table Bidor special refugee centre report to Cabinet
High Court orders retrial for Chegubard, influencer in defamation case

Others Also Read