Sabah police chief: Penampang robbers were Sulu militants


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 05 Nov 2014

KOTA KINABALU: Police have confirmed that the two Philippine nationals gunned down in Penampang Baru new township last Thursday were members of the militant Royal Sulu Force.

Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman, who stopped short or identifying the men, said that one of the two suspects was a leader of the RSF group here.

“Both are illegal immigrants,” Jalaluddin told reporters here after attending the state police monthly gathering at the Kepayan State Police Headquarters.

“We believe that they were committing robberies to raise funds for their activities,” he said, adding that they believe that there were certain links between the RSF activities and the kidnap for ransom groups in the southern Philippines.

Jalaluddin said the two suspects, one of whom possessed a fake Malaysian identity card and the other a Philippines international passport, were operating from the Lahad Datu and Semporna areas.

He said police expect to make more arrests against those involved in the RSF group in due course.

“We believe they are concentrated in Sabah’s east coast,” he said.

Following the Oct 9 shooting, Jalaluddin said that the duo – aged 42 and 50 – were responsible for at least three robberies in October, having got away with over RM1mil.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Sabah , Penampang , Sulu , RSF , police , Courts & Crime

   

Next In Nation

Four arrested following scuffle in Cheras
Spas, wellness business, zoos in Sabah allowed to reopen from Friday (Oct 1)
Malaysia to lose over RM48bil if MM2H participants leave country, says Nazri
12MP: Include two Free Trade Zones to make state the preferred gateway for BIMP-EAGA, says SME Sabah
LHDN says not involved in alleged data leak
Seri Perdana renovation considers safety factors and country's image, says PM
Ahmad Zahid not transparent when extending UKSB's contract, court told
Over 100 people now homeless after Semporna fire
Health DG: 1,612 applications through HQA approved for home quarantine so far
New arch in Little India a unity symbol, says Melaka CM

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers