Rise in domestic violence nationwide


Lim (seated middle) flanked by Daud and Hanani with the 400 participants of the Women’s Advocacy Programme in Penang. — CHAN BOON KAI/The Star

THEY were hit, kicked or injured with household objects, some suffering serious injuries.

Others endured constant insults, degrading name-calling and gaslighting that eroded their mental well-being.

With men accounting for 26% of domestic violence victims nationwide, such incidents show that abuse does not discriminate by gender.

Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minis­ter Lim Hui Ying said of the 7,391 domestic violence cases reported nationwide last year, 1,961 involved male victims.

She said the statistics should not be a source of embarrassment, but a call for courage.

“There is nothing to be ashamed of.

“If you are a victim, step forward and seek help,” Lim urged.

Citing police figures, she added that domestic violence cases rose from 7,116 in 2024 to 7,391 in 2025.

As of last March, 1,955 cases were recorded, with authorities believing that many cases could have gone unreported.

“The increase is a sign that domestic violence remains a serious issue requiring sustained and coordinated action from all parties,” said Lim at the launch of the Women’s Welfare Advocacy Programme in Penang.

Among the cases reported were economic abuse, with some partners exerting total control over finances, restricting access to money or dictating household spending to strip victims of their autonomy.

In some cases, the abuse ex­tended to the deliberate des­truc­tion of personal property to inti­midate and cause distress.

Lim said a one-stop intermediary centre has opened, known as Prismanita, serving as an intermediary for referral, intervention, support, information and advocacy for women.

“Unlike enforcement agencies, it does not wield prosecutorial powers but acts as a facilitator, matching victims with appropriate services and agencies to ensure faster, more victim-­friendly access to assistance.

“As of April 28, 34 clients nationwide have received services through Prismanita.

“The numbers may appear small but they demonstrate both the need and importance of strengthening women’s support ecosystem at the state level,” she said.

She added that male domestic violence victims could also get help from Prismanita.

It was launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Anwar Ibrahim on March 10 in conjunction with International Women’s Day

Lim said the Madani government remained firmly committed to combating domestic violence through lawmaking, policy im­­­ple­­­­mentation and special mechanisms such as the Domestic Violence Handling Committee.

“Prevention and early intervention must be continuously strengthened to prevent the problem from escalating further.

“The initiatives are aligned with international frameworks such as the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (Cedaw) and the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) agenda that emphasises protection, preparedness and empowerment.”

Lim said the ministry’s key efforts included raising awareness of the increasingly complex forms of violence faced in the modern era.

“Last year, welfare advocacy programmes for women experiencing domestic violence were carried out in Sabah, Tereng­ganu, Perak and Johor, involving 1,971 participants and 70 trained facilitators.

“These programmes are focused, impactful and solution- oriented.

“They encourage women to understand the risks, recognise warning signs and have the courage to report crimes.”

Lim also said a psychological intervention initiative known as “K-Check” had been introduced as a group support approach involving trained counsellors and facilitators.

“It aims to help victims manage emotional, psychological and social trauma, while strengthening the recovery process.

“Following encouraging response, the programme has been expanded this year in collaboration with the State Women’s Development Office.

“No individual should ever be left without appropriate assistance,” she said.

Victims can call the 24-­­hour Talian Kasih helpline at 15999, send a WhatsApp message to 019-261 5999, use the Help Line app or seek assistance at the nearest police station or hospital.

Also present at the Penang launch were Women, Family and Community Develop­ment Ministry deputy secretary- general Mohd Daud Mohd Arif, Women’s Development Department director-general Hanani Sapit, National Popula­tion and Family Development Board director Dr Azura Abdullah and Penang Women’s Development Corporation chief executive officer Datuk Ong Bee Leng.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Johor facing high risk of drought
Dengue still health priority in Klang despite fewer cases
Price hikes push community, home gardening initiatives
Student delegates to discuss Pre-U policies at congress
‘Lawmakers need a shift to policy creation’
Ministry opens matching grant application to help national museum stay relevant
KL reboots defences as rain surpasses limits
Tenancy cleanup after Selangor takes over PPR
‘Drain upgrades needed around Taman Desa Aman’
Tasting guavas’ sweet success

Others Also Read