Tourism players banking on new JB-KL train service


Leong says places outside Johor Baru must be well promoted so that visitors can discover the hidden gems.

THE newly launched Johor Baru–Kuala Lumpur Electric Train Service (ETS), coupled with the upcoming Johor Baru-Kulai commuter service, is set to boost Johor’s tourism.

Malaysian Tourist Guides Council president Jimmy Leong said industry players had started seeing the spill-over effects of improved connectivity and were anticipating more visitors next year.

“Tourist spots outside Johor Baru, particularly those near ETS stations, should see more visitors.

“These are places that may previously have been difficult for tourists, including those from Singapore, to reach.

“Similarly, the commuter service to Kulai will also spur activities in the district, including its tourism sector.”

He said the state government’s provision of more bus services around the city would ease travel for both tourists and locals.

“We have had a meeting with the Johor Public Transport Cor­poration (PAJ) to discuss providing buses to several places of interest around Johor Baru city.

“On top of all this, we also have the Johor Baru–Singapore Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link project, which is expected to be comple­ted by the end of 2026,” he said.

However, Leong stressed that there needed to be proper promotion and dissemination of information.

“Places outside Johor Baru must also be well promoted so that visitors discover the hidden gems.”

Chia says hotels and associations are having their own promotional campaigns to promote towns that can be accessed via the ETS.
Chia says hotels and associations are having their own promotional campaigns to promote towns that can be accessed via the ETS.

Malaysia Budget and Business Hotel Association Johor chapter chairman Jarod Chia said it was important for areas in the outskirts to be highlighted.

“Lately, there has been more effort by the state and Federal governments as well as KTM Bhd to promote these places.

“On top of that, hotels and associations are also coming up with their own campaigns to promote towns that can be accessed via the ETS,” he highlighted.

While such towns had yet to see a significant spike in tourists, he said they were expected to enjoy a boost by early next year.

“I think this will be seen during the Chinese New Year period, when Singaporean visitors normally cross into Johor,” he added.

The Kuala Lumpur-Johor Baru ETS 3 began operations on Dec 12, following the completion of the Gemas-Johor Baru Electrified Double-Tracking Project.

The completion of the project saw the introduction of 11 new stations: Segamat, Genuang, Labis, Bekok, Paloh, Kluang, Mengkibol, Rengam, Layang-Layang, Kulai and Kempas Baru.

During the launch, Transport Minister Anthony Loke told the press that the Government planned to introduce commuter services between Kulai and Johor Baru.

He said the train ride, about 20 minutes each way, was expected to begin by the first quarter of next year, with 16 trips daily in each direction.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Senior shuttlers bag three medals at All England meet
Understanding human emotions through art
JB motorists�upset over costly pothole damages
Evening of Burgundy wines
Three new bus lanes for KL city
Selangor expands support for OKU with new programme
E-waste recycling bin powered by AI makes debut at JB mall
Modular system cuts school building costs
Activist calls for detention pond to prevent flooding in Kepong
Relaunch of platform for professionals

Others Also Read