JOHOR BARU: Housewife Nurul Hidayah Amelly Abdullah did not expect to be admitted to hospital after picking up her daughter from SK Taman Pasir Putih.
“I rushed to pick up my daughter when I was notified that the pupils had to be evacuated due to the toxic fumes.
“She was already vomiting when I arrived and a few minutes later, I felt nauseous and collapsed outside the school,” said the 42-year-old who was sent to Hospital Sultan Ismail (HSA) while her daughter, Nur Iris Syuhada Tazudin, received treatment at Air Biru Health Clinic.
Intisaar Nazihah Mohd Nazri, 16, from SMK Pasir Putih felt worse after returning home from school and was admitted to HSA later that night.
A total of 79 people received treatment after being exposed to toxic fumes from a chemical waste dump in Sungai Kim Kim near Pasir Gudang.
Deputy Education Minister Teo Nie Ching said 21 children from SK Taman Pasir Putih and SMK Pasir Putih required treatment.
“We will check if it is suitable for students to return to school,” she said at a press conference.
Also present was HSA deputy medical director (2 ) Dr Surya Masrom.
Dr Surya said 39 victims received treatment at HSA, including a canteen operator, teacher, nurse, ambulance driver, doctor as well as those living near Sungai Kim Kim.
“Four of the victims, including two students, the ambulance driver and canteen operator, are currently being treated at the Intensive Care Unit,” she said.
Johor Health director Dr Selahudden Abd Aziz advised those living near Sungai Kim Kim to take preventive measures and avoid activities near the river.
Permaisuri Johor Raja Zarith Sofia Almarhum Sultan Idris Shah visited victims warded in HSA and was briefed by Dr Selahudden on their condition.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!