SEPANG: The many nations involved make this search and rescue operation for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 one of the biggest in history.
"A lot of third-party involvement and contributions from all, make this search and rescue operation one of the largest in history," said acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein.
Hishammuddin said that two Chinese Ilyushin IL-76s will arrive in Perth to begin operations in the southern corridor, and the Shaanxi Y-8 which arrived Friday would be operating from the Subang air base in Malaysia.
"China is also sending an additional two ships from the Andaman Sea to join the five Chinese ships already in the southern corridor," said Hishammuddin.
"Two Indian aircraft, a P-8 Poseidon and C-130 Hercules, arrived in Malaysia at 18:00 Friday night to assist," he added.
The British Navy's HMS Echo, currently in the Persian Gulf, is en route to the southern corridor. The survey ship is equipped with advanced sensors that can search effectively underwater.
In the northern corridor, Hishammuddin said that China, India, Pakistan, Myanmar, Laos, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan had verbally informed Malaysia that there had been no sightings of the aircraft on their radar after preliminary analysis.
He assured that the overall emphasis of the search and rescue operations for MH370 remains the same, which was to use "all available means to narrow the search areas in both corridors."
Hishammuddin also took the opportunity to thank all 26 countries helping Malaysia with the search for the missing plane, which is entering into its third week.
"I would also like to pay special tribute to the men and women from all countries who are putting themselves in harm’s way in the search for MH370," said Hishammuddin.