Safety’s on, and shooting meet’s cut short


  • Shooting
  • Sunday, 15 Mar 2020

SUBANG: The Malaysian shooters were left without a tournament more than midway into the President Ally T.H. Ong Trophy 2020 competition.

The National Shooting Association of Malaysia (NSAM) postponed the meet indefinitely over the Covid-19 outbreak, with just two days left to go.

The Ally Ong Trophy started on March 10 and was expected to finish today but the NSAM, on the advice of the Health Ministry, decided to call it off.

The shooters had been preparing for the finals for the 10m air pistol, 25m pistol, trap, and skeet events, all scheduled for yesterday, when the shock announcement came. The Tun Hanif Trophy, scheduled for April 14-19, has also been cancelled.



National shooter Alia Sazana Azahari (pic), who was to have taken part in the 25m air pistol event yesterday, had no complaints over the postponement.

“It is important for everyone to remain safe and healthy and the best decision right now is to wait until this outbreak is dealt with,” said Alia. “The NSAM and the Health Ministry are taking the right step in postponing all the sporting events.”

NSAM executive secretary Hayati Shamsuri said the Health Ministry’s decision was the right move, given the seriousness of the pandemic.

“It is the right move to cancel this event and also the Tun Hanif Trophy in April because of how close the events are to each other and also the severity of the outbreak.

“We want this pandemic to be brought under control. Then, we can proceed with our events,” he said.

Article type: free
User access status:

Ally Ong Trophy , Covid-19 , Alia Sazana

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site