PETALING JAYA: Police have confirmed that there was no attempted kidnapping of a religious school student as alleged in a social media post after receiving a report from the student's mother on Sunday (Aug 16).
Sungai Buloh OCPD Supt Mohd Hafiz Muhammad Nor said police detected a post on Threads at about 1.15pm on Sunday alleging that a student had been the target of an attempted kidnapping at a religious school in Sungai Buloh.
He said the Sungai Buloh police headquarters also received a report from the student's mother following the allegation.
“Initial investigations found that there was no attempted kidnapping as alleged, and the student is safe and in good condition with her family,” he said in a statement on Monday (Aug 17).
Supt Mohd Hafiz advised the public against indiscriminately posting statements that could cause public concern and panic.
He said any information regarding an incident should first be channelled to the police for verification before being shared with the public.
“Any information received should first be channelled to the Sungai Buloh police headquarters at 03-61579200 or the emergency line at 999 before it is disseminated,” he said.
Supt Mohd Hafiz said legal action could be taken against individuals who spread false information that causes public alarm.
He said such offences could be prosecuted under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code, which carries a jail term of up to two years, a fine, or both upon conviction.
Action may also be taken under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, which provides for a maximum fine of RM50,000, imprisonment of up to one year, or both.
“Members of the public are advised to verify information with the authorities first and refrain from sharing unverified information to prevent public alarm,” he said.
