Rafizi, Bersama should respect DAP's decision to remain in unity govt, says Chow


GEORGE TOWN: Parti Bersama Malaysia (Bersama) leader Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli should respect DAP’s decision and that of its delegates to remain in the unity government, says Chow Kon Yeow.

The DAP central executive committee member said Rafizi should respect the decision reached at DAP’s congress yesterday after the former PKR deputy president commented on the party’s decision.

“We ask Rafizi to respect DAP and the decision of its delegates. That is basic, isn’t it?” he said after officiating the publicity and public participation programme for the draft Penang Structure Plan 2040 (Review) here Monday (Aug 17).

On Sunday (Aug 16), Rafizi during a party tour, claimed DAP’s decision to remain in the unity government was expected as it would be difficult for any political party that had already “enjoyed” power to give it up.

Meanwhile, Chow dismissed claims that attendance at Sunday’s DAP congress was low, at less than 50%, saying the meeting was valid as it met the quorum requirement set by the party.

He said the required quorum was 25% of eligible delegates.

“We had more than 50% attendance, so the quorum requirement was met.

“Attendance during party elections is usually around 60% to 70%, while voter turnout in general elections does not necessarily reach 100%. So, does that mean a general election is invalid because only 65% of voters turn up? No,” he said.

On Rafizi’s remarks that Penang was facing land constraints that affected its revenue compared with other states such as Johor, Chow, who is also Penang Chief Minister, said the Draft Penang Structure Plan 2040 (Review) is the answer for it.

He said the state government had always planned its land development carefully.

He said land acquisition and the opening of new areas for development were continuously carried out for various purposes, including industrial development.

“Reclassifying rural areas as urban areas is also one method of rezoning land use in Penang.

“The state government is maximising the use of existing land to ensure development delivers the greatest impact to the state, while taking into account Penang’s strengths and constraints,” he said.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Mandatory drug screening for MAS pilots completed, all results negative, says MAG
Bersama is not a ‘Trojan Horse’ for BN or PAS, says Rafizi
Hajiji orders districts to unlock agriculture, tourism and industry potential
Third link's inclusion in structure plan only indicative, work won't begin immediately, says Penang CM
Local grain maize productions aims to reduce import dependence, improve food security, says Mat Sabu
MMEA activates SAR ops after Thai fisherman falls overboard in Kedah waters
Key institutional, economic reforms need to be implemented as soon as possible, says Gobind
Three police reports lodged over vandalised statues at Bukit Tinggi place of worship
Let the current unity government go its full term, says LDP chief
Not easy for DAP to step back after 'tasting power', says Rafizi

Others Also Read