Govt to discuss alleged petrol station losses during subsidy transition, says PM


KUALA LUMPUR: The government will obtain further information and hold discussions with oil companies over claims that petrol station operators incurred losses during the transition to the enhanced fuel subsidy mechanism previously, says Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

The Prime Minister said the government appreciated the cooperation extended by oil companies and petrol station operators in ensuring the successful implementation of the targeted RON95 petrol and diesel subsidy programme.

"With regard to the issue raised, I will ask the Second Finance Minister (Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan) to help obtain further details and also hold discussions with the oil companies.

"So far, they have given their full cooperation. Otherwise, it would not have been possible for us to implement the targeted RON95 petrol and diesel subsidies effectively.

"If there are any shortcomings that have been highlighted, insya-Allah, we can discuss them and work towards a good solution," he said during Minister's Question Time in the Dewan Rakyat on Tuesday (July 7).

Anwar, who is also Finance Minister, was responding to a supplementary question from Howard Lee Chuan How (PH-Ipoh Timur), who raised the issue of petrol station operators allegedly incurring losses of between RM40,000 and RM50,000 during the transition in subsidised fuel prices.

More to come

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two Malaysians detained in Thailand, illicit narcotics seized
First Malayan tiger to be released from NWRC into natural habitat
Mother in dazed state, unable to process death of husband and two children
GOF seizes RM31.7mil worth of minerals in Perak
Four men armed with machetes and pump gun-like object rob jewellery shop in Kuantan
Anwar arrives in Brunei for Annual Leaders' Consultation
Perhilitan captures 500kg crocodile in Sungai Linggi
Police have initiated five investigations over Tabung Haji issue, 127 questioned
Malaysia to use Asean diplomatic channels to address trans-boundary haze
Govt challenges Semantan valuer's Duta Enclave land valuation

Others Also Read