Fire unveils e-waste falsely declared as tin ore, says AKPS


PETALING JAYA: A shipping container declared as carrying tin ore was found to contain electronic waste (e-waste) after it caught fire on Monday (July 6).

Port Klang AKPS commander Deputy Comm Datuk Nik Ezanee Mohd Faisal said the incident occurred at about 7.05am while the container was on a trailer lorry after arriving at the port.

"The container arrived from overseas carrying a 17,237kg shipment. Checks on the Bill of Lading showed that the cargo had been declared as tin ore.

"However, a joint inspection by AKPS and the Environment Department (DOE) following the fire found that the container's actual contents were 100% electronic waste (e-waste)," he said in a statement on Tuesday (July 7).

DCP Nik Ezanee said preliminary investigations found that the e-waste was classified as controlled goods under the First Schedule of the Customs (Prohibition of Imports) Order 2023, as amended, which has been in force for imports since April 1.

"The importation of such goods is subject to conditions and approval from the relevant competent authority before they are allowed into the country," he said.

He said the case is being investigated by the Royal Malaysian Customs Department to determine whether any laws had been breached, including offences involving false declarations, the importation of controlled goods without complying with the prescribed conditions, as well as other offences under existing laws.

"Enforcement action will be taken against any party found to have violated the law.

"The cooperation of all parties in ensuring compliance with import regulations is vital to safeguard public safety, the environment and the nation's interests," he said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Car destroyed in fire after crash near Mid Valley
Veteran lawyer Chew Swee Yoke, pioneer of KL legal aid, passed away at 81
Jais to tighten religious school teachers' screening to ensure student safety
Foreign worker applications now fully online, says HR Ministry
Police seize phone of PAS chief Hadi Awang’s Facebook admin
Strengthen TVET to produce skilled, competitive workforce
Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan
Sabah Day provides platform to appreciate state’s history, identity and culture
Woman killed by falling pole after driver crashes into Cheras food court
Sabah working on reviving idle padi land using modern technology, Jamawi

Others Also Read