Jho Low set to get pardon from Trump, says report


PETALING JAYA: Fugitive financier Jho Low could be in line for a presidential pardon from United States President Donald Trump, according to a report by The Atlantic, which said the Malaysian fugitive businessman was among individuals being considered for clemency.

The report, published on June 29, cited three people familiar with the discussions as saying that Low, whose full name is Low Taek Jho, was among individuals being considered as Trump weighs granting up to 250 pardons to mark the United States' 250th birthday.

Also reportedly under consideration are rapper Pras Michel, a founding member of the Fugees who was convicted over an illegal lobbying campaign linked to Low and the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal, and Nicole Daedone, co-founder of wellness company OneTaste, who was convicted in a forced-labour conspiracy case.

The White House did not respond to the magazine's reporting before publication. However, after the story was published, a White House official disputed the report, saying: "While the President is the final decision maker on all pardons, these individuals are not on the radar of the pardon team."

In May, the Wall Street Journal reported that Low had formally sought a presidential pardon from Trump in an attempt to have criminal charges against him in the United States dropped.

ALSO READ: Jho Low's US pardon bid to be discussed at next week's Cabinet meet, says Fahmi

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim had earlier said Malaysia would not consider any pardon application involving Low, describing the matter as a "non-issue" as court proceedings involving the fugitive businessman were still ongoing. He also said any decision by the United States on the matter was its own business.

According to a foreign media report cited by Bernama in May, an application filed under the name Taek Jho Low was listed on the US Department of Justice website as "pending" for a "Pardon after Completion of Sentence".

US authorities have accused Low of masterminding the misappropriation of about US$4.5bil (RM17.7bil) from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) and laundering the proceeds through the American financial system. He has consistently denied wrongdoing.

Low reached a settlement with the US Department of Justice in 2024, agreeing to forfeit US$100mil (RM450mil) to settle a civil forfeiture lawsuit. The 1MDB scandal also resulted in the conviction and imprisonment of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak in Malaysia.

Low remains a fugitive and is wanted by Malaysian and US authorities over his alleged role in the 1MDB scandal.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Three family members killed after Immigration Dept truck runs red light and crashes into car in KL
Five areas in Sarawak record unhealthy API as of 9am
Do you know ... about Orang utan Facts?
INTERACTIVE: KL, Penang and Putrajaya record biggest rise in local tourists
RM60mil bridge to be built
Prosecution appeals Zizie Izette’s acquittal
Cooperation vital in haze battle
Gig-trippers hit the road to catch their favourite events
A ride of love that goes the distance
Tourism Malaysia: Immersive experiences in the pipeline

Others Also Read