Johor polls: Bersatu will rely on its own strength to campaign, says Muhyiddin


PAGOH: Bersatu president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has brushed aside a decision by PAS not to campaign for Bersatu candidates in the Johor state election.

He said the party would continue relying on its own strength.

"It doesn't matter. I didn't ask anyone to help us campaign," he told reporters on Saturday (June 27).

He was speaking after accompanying Bersatu Bukit Kepong candidate Datuk Dr Sahruddin Jamal to the nomination centre at the Pagoh Sports Complex.

"Whoever wants to help is welcome to do so. In principle, parties in Perikatan Nasional should support one another. But if they choose not to, we accept it," he said.

"So far, we will continue to work hard based on our own strength, as well as the policies and track record we have built over the years. I am confident voters know how to make their choice," he said.

Muhyiddin was responding to questions on the decision by PAS not to take part in campaigning for Bersatu candidates in the Johor polls.

He said Bersatu would nevertheless continue to support its allies if needed.

"If they need our support, we will help. That has always been our practice," he said.

On a claim by Barisan Nasional that Perikatan lacks the ambition to form the next state government because it is contesting only 33 seats, Muhyiddin said the coalition's focus was on winning voters' support.

"The important thing is the choice made by the voters and they know what we have fought for," he said.

He noted that Perikatan is contesting more than half of the seats needed to form the state government and said other friendly parties were also in the race.

"If you take that into account, the total is more than half. So don't make assumptions too early," he added.

When asked whether Bersatu would consider forming a coalition government if no party secured a simple majority, Muhyiddin declined to speculate.

"I'm not a fortune teller," he said.

"That depends on the outcome of the election. As we have seen before, when there is a hung assembly, the parties involved will have to discuss how to form a government."

Earlier, the Election Commission confirmed a three-cornered contest for the Bukit Kepong seat.

Former Mentri Besar Sahruddin is facing Pakatan Harapan candidate C. Subramani and Barisan candidate Ahmad Syar'e Yusof.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MMEA activates SAR ops after Thai fisherman falls overboard in Kedah waters
Key institutional, economic reforms need to be implemented as soon as possible, says Gobind
Three police reports lodged over vandalised statues at Bukit Tinggi place of worship
Let the current unity government go its full term, says LDP chief
Not easy for DAP to step back after 'tasting power', says Rafizi
Penang Hill funicular service to close from Jan 4-10 for scheduled maintenance
Body found in net: Four charged with businessman's murder in Batu Pahat
One area in Selangor records unhealthy API reading, 58 others nationwide at moderate level
TH must enhance communication, expand outreach to rebuild depositors' trust, says don
Building future health professionals for long-term patient care

Others Also Read