Malaysia maintains stance on Myanmar’s new government amid diplomatic efforts


KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has not recognised Myanmar’s new government following its election, but is keeping communication channels open to prevent a diplomatic vacuum that could invite external powers to interfere in Asean affairs, says Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

The Foreign Minister stressed that Malaysia’s engagement with Myanmar did not amount to recognition of its new administration and remained firmly anchored to Asean’s Five-Point Consensus (5PC), which continues to be the bloc’s core framework for resolving the country’s prolonged political crisis.

“The visit was not a recognition of Myanmar’s new government after its election,” Mohamad said, referring to his visit to Naypyidaw in May, where he met Myanmar’s foreign minister U Tin Maung Swe.

“It does not in any way affect Malaysia’s or Asean’s position on the implementation of the Five-Point Consensus,” he told the Dewan Rakyat on Thursday (June 25).

Mohamad said Asean leaders, at the 48th Asean Summit in the Philippines on May 8, agreed that the bloc’s foreign ministers should begin informal engagement with Myanmar to assess the latest developments and explore ways to move the peace process forward.

Following the decision, he visited Naypyidaw on May 19 and met Myanmar’s newly appointed foreign minister to convey Asean leaders’ aspirations and assess the latest situation on the ground.

He said discussions focused on Myanmar’s post-election political direction, progress in implementing the 5PC, the possibility of an inclusive dialogue involving all stakeholders, Asean’s role in supporting lasting peace and the overall situation in the country.

Mohamad also raised the release of political detainees, the Rohingya refugee situation, particularly its impact on Malaysia, and stronger cooperation to combat online financial crimes.

He said Malaysia proposed that Myanmar consider greater autonomy for its regions and a federal system, citing Malaysia’s own federal structure as an example, adding that Myanmar had shown interest in the proposal.

According to Mohamad, Myanmar had also welcomed Malaysia’s proposal to continue engaging with other stakeholders in the country, and appeared more receptive to Malaysia’s suggestions than during previous interactions when Malaysia chaired Asean last year.

He said maintaining dialogue with Myanmar was essential to ensure Asean remained at the centre of efforts to resolve the crisis.

“We do not want Myanmar to become further isolated.

“We do not want to create a vacuum that will be filled by third parties, because that will complicate Asean’s role and worsen the situation in Myanmar,” he said.

Mohamad said Malaysia would continue engaging all relevant parties, including Myanmar’s authorities, the National Unity Government (NUG), the People’s Defence Forces (PDF) and ethnic armed organisations, while urging them to end violence and work towards a ceasefire.

He added that Asean foreign ministers were now exploring ways to work more closely with Myanmar in implementing the 5PC, with any refinements to the framework requiring approval from Asean leaders.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Electrician electrocuted while installing power pole in Sandakan
Govt rules out acquisition of Datasonic Technologies
RM41mil in assets seized, 12 detained in Sabah illegal mining crackdown
Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene

Others Also Read