SNCC condemns Israeli violence against GSF 2.0 activists


SEPANG: The Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) has condemned alleged violence, mental torture, and intimidation by Israeli extremist Itamar Ben-Gvir and Israeli naval forces against unarmed humanitarian activists from the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0.

SNCC director-general Datuk Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the reported actions violate international humanitarian law and United Nations resolutions.

He said such conduct also contravenes the Rome Statute, under which torture, assault or inhumane treatment of detainees constitutes a serious breach of the Geneva Conventions.

"These actions reveal the true face of an apartheid regime that continues to operate beyond the bounds of humanity," he said at a press briefing on the latest developments involving the GSF 2.0 mission.

Earlier, a viral video posted online by Ben-Gvir reportedly showed detained activists with their hands tied and being forced to kneel after being intercepted by Israeli forces in international waters.

On Wednesday (May 20), SNCC said all 50 vessels of the GSF 2.0 flotilla carrying 428 activists from 40 countries had been intercepted about 80 nautical miles off the coast of Gaza.

Sani Araby said conflicting statements from Israeli leaders regarding Ben-Gvir's actions indicate internal divisions within the Israeli administration.

"This is because Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, along with the foreign minister and Israel's ambassador to the United States, had described the actions as inconsistent with Israel's values and reckless," he said.

Sani Araby said SNCC had also received information, which was also published in colonial newspapers, that some of the kidnapped activists were expected to be transferred to Ketziot Prison, Israel, soon.

"Legal teams from the Centre for Human Rights Research and Advocacy (CENTHRA), working with the Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights (ADALAH), were ready at Ashdod port, where detained activists, including Malaysians, are reportedly being held.

"It is also confirmed that the flotilla's humanitarian activists, including Malaysians, are in stable condition and are awaiting permission to meet," he said, adding that at least 87 detained activists had begun a large-scale hunger strike in protest against what they described as unlawful detention and mistreatment. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Toll evaders, tailgaters get 2,122 letters of demand from highway concessionaire
Don’t exploit Rulers, race and religion for politics, says Selangor MB
Private doctors win temporary relief over drug price display rule
Public-private model for Johor E-ART project carries significant risks, says Dr Wee
Flood cover take-up in Sabah, Sarawak lags national average
Penang police bust drug syndicate, seize RM88,000 worth of narcotics
Pressure on neck caused death of seven-month-old, says Seremban OCPD
Steamboat chain manager charged with CBT involving RM1.5mil
Grace period until June 22 for errant employers to register, says PERKESO
75-year-old pleads not guilty to reckless driving charge in Klang hit-and-run case

Others Also Read