Flood cover take-up in Sabah, Sarawak lags national average


KUCHING: The take-up of motor and fire insurance remains lower in Sabah and Sarawak than the national average, particularly for flood cover, according to the General Insurance Association of Malaysia (PIAM).

Its chief executive officer, Chua Kim Soon, said the take-up of flood cover for motor insurance in the Bornean states stood at 6.8% last year, about half the national average of 14.8%.

Similarly, he said the take-up of flood cover within property fire insurance was 21% in Sabah and Sarawak, compared with 28% nationally.

"People may not be aware of the exposure they face and that they can seek protection for it," he said at PIAM's media briefing here on Thursday (May 21).

Chua said the lower take-up rate could also be due to affordability or indifference.

"They may see that it's not necessary to take up the insurance, or they find that it is too expensive for them and they take the route of not being insured," he said.

Nevertheless, he emphasised the importance of taking up flood coverage.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Public-private model for Johor E-ART project carries significant risks, says Dr Wee
Penang police bust drug syndicate, seize RM88,000 worth of narcotics
Pressure on neck caused death of seven-month-old, says Seremban OCPD
Steamboat chain manager charged with CBT involving RM1.5mil
Grace period until June 22 for errant employers to register, says PERKESO
75-year-old pleads not guilty to reckless driving charge in Klang hit-and-run case
High Court stays drug price marking order pending judicial review filed by MMA
Three scam syndicates busted in Puchong raids, 29 foreign nationals arrested
Malay unity should not be misinterpreted, mutual respect strengthens nation stability, says S'gor Ruler
Prisons Dept grants 795 inmates conditional release ahead of festive season

Others Also Read