SHAH ALAM: A series of raids in the same residential area led to the bust of three separate crime syndicates.
Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Shazeli Kahar, at a press conference on Thursday (May 21) at the continent headquarters here, said that raids were conducted on May 19 and 20.
“The first was by the Sepang police, where on May 19, the police raided a house in Bandar 16 Sierra in Puchong. The raid led to the arrest of 11 foreign nationals on suspicion of involvement in an investment scam.
“Those arrested were aged 18 to 63 years old, and equipment, including eight laptops and eight handphones, was seized.
“Investigations showed that they had been active since March of this year and that they were offering these scam investment schemes to victims via Telegram and a website,” he said.
The second raid in the same area was conducted later in the day, during which seven foreign suspects, aged 27 to 36, were arrested for involvement in a similar scam.
“This group targeted Chinese victims via applications named ‘Douyin’ and ‘Dongfangcaifu’,” he said.
The third raid was conducted the next day (May 20), where 11 suspected foreign money launderers were arrested.
The group was busted after it was believed to have laundered profits from scams.
“Investigations showed that they had been active since April of this year and that all were believed to have been account managers who obtained financial data from scam activities conducted against Chinese victims,” he said, adding that the data would also be tabulated by the group’s leader.
He added that all groups had no links to one another and that the police were cooperating with the Immigration Department to determine the nature of their entry documents.
“The police would like to urge the public to continue to provide information if they detect any individuals or groups suspected of operating scam call centres within their residential area or on business premises, so that swift police action can be taken,” he said.
